Recurve bows have been a popular choice among archers for centuries, and for good reason. They offer a classic, traditional style of archery that many enthusiasts love, and their design allows for greater accuracy and power compared to other types of bows.
If you’re new to archery and looking for a beginner-friendly recurve bow, you’re in luck. In this article, we’ll be reviewing the five best beginner recurve bows on the market and providing a comprehensive buyer’s guide to help you make an informed decision.
Whether you’re interested in target shooting or bowhunting, we’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive in and find the perfect recurve bow for your needs!
Out Picks for The Best Beginner Recurve Bows
- Southwest Archery Spyder Takedown Recurve Bow – Top Pick
- Keshes Takedown Hunting Recurve Bow and Arrow – Runner Up
- Southland Archery Supply Junior 58″ Takedown Archery Recurve Bow for Youth – Best for Youth
- Procener 45″ Bow and Arrow Set for Kids – Best for Kids
- D&Q Archery Bow and Arrow – Best Budget Pick
1. Southwest Archery Spyder Takedown Recurve Bow – Top Pick
The Southwest Archery Spyder Takedown Recurve Bow is our top choice for beginners looking for an easy-to-learn and high-quality bow. This top pick is made from four naturally sourced woods, resulting in a beautiful, compact, accurate, and lightweight design.
Available in both left and right-hand options, this bow also offers a wide range of draw weights from 20lb to 60lb, in 5lb increments, allowing for a customized experience based on your preferences. Moreover, it features pre-installed threaded bushings for various accessory upgrades such as mechanical rests, sights, quivers, and stabilizers.
The reinforced limb tips allow the bow to be Fast Flight and Flemish string compatible, making it a versatile option for hunting deer, bowfishing, or target practice. The kit includes a handcrafted riser, matching limbs, 14 strand Dacron string, stick-on adhesive arrow rest, and detailed instructions for easy assembly. For safe assembly and disassembly, an optional stringer tool is available.
This extraordinary quality bow comes at an affordable price and is backed by an industry-leading 1-year warranty when registered online after purchase. It is available as a full package option for adults, youth, and kids, with arrows and cases included.
However, keep in mind that the bow does not come with arrows or a target. You’ll need to purchase them separately to have a complete kit. The optional packages available on Amazon can be a good option for those looking for a full setup.
- Made from four naturally sourced woods for a beautiful, compact, accurate, and lightweight design
- Available in both left and right-hand options with a wide range of draw weights from 20lb to 60lb
- Pre-installed threaded bushings for various accessory upgrades such as mechanical rests, sights, quivers, and stabilizers
- Reinforced limb tips allow the bow to be Fast Flight and Flemish string compatible
- Kit includes a handcrafted riser, matching limbs, 14 strand Dacron string, stick-on adhesive arrow rest, and detailed instructions for easy assembly
- Optional stringer tool available for safe assembly and disassembly
- Affordable price backed by an industry-leading 1-year warranty when registered online after purchase
- Available as a full package option for adults, youth, and kids, with arrows and cases included
- Does not come with arrows or a target, which must be purchased separately
- Some users may prefer more advanced bows with additional features and customization options
2. Keshes Takedown Hunting Recurve Bow and Arrow – Runner Up
The Keshes Takedown Hunting Recurve Bow and Arrow is a great option for beginner archers who are looking for a lightweight and ergonomic design that is comfortable to use. This runner-up bow is crafted with rounded edges for a comfortable grip and is available in a 62″ length. The bow is also manufactured by the same factory as the well-known Samick Sage brand, ensuring that it is a durable and high-quality product.
The kit includes a wooden riser, two fiberglass limbs with knob screws, a 14-strand B-55 Dacron bowstring, stick-on arrow rest, stringer tool, sight, and clear instruction sheet. The riser also has pre-installed bushings for future upgrades, accessories, and bowfishing, making it a versatile option for archers. Additionally, the bow can be taken apart to fit into a small bow case, making it an excellent travel-friendly option that is easily assembled without any tools.
While the Keshes Takedown Hunting Recurve Bow and Arrow has many great features, it is important to note that it is missing a string and must be purchased separately. However, the quality of the bow is guaranteed, with a satisfaction guarantee or your money back and a lifetime warranty included
- Lightweight and ergonomic design with rounded edges for comfortable grip
- Includes wooden riser, 2 fiberglass limbs with knob screws, 14 strands B-55 Dacron Bowstring, stick-on arrow rest, stringer tool, sight, and clear instruction sheet
- Manufactured by the same factory as the well-known brand Samick Sage, ensuring durable quality
- Riser with pre-installed bushings for future upgrades, accessories, and bowfishing
- 62″ recurve bow with a drawback length of 29 inches and recommended brace height between 7.5-8.5 inches
- Travel-friendly, as the bow can be taken apart to fit into a small bow case and easily put together without any tools
- Quality guaranteed, with a satisfaction guarantee or your money back and a lifetime warranty included
- Missing a string, which needs to be purchased separately
- Some users may find the included sight to be less effective than they would like.
3. Southland Archery Supply Junior 58″ Takedown Archery Recurve Bow for Youth – Best for Youth
The Southland Archery Supply Junior 58″ Takedown Archery Recurve Bow for Youth is an excellent option for younger or smaller-framed beginners looking for a bow that fits their needs.
The riser is specifically designed for youth and smaller shooters, made from premium white oak, Dymondwood, and maple wood. The limbs are made of hard maple and black fiberglass and have phenolic reinforced limb tips, making it durable and ideal for beginners who want to practice their shooting skills.
The bow also comes with pre-installed brass bushings for accessories such as the brass plunger, stabilizer, sight, and quiver. The kit includes two stick-on adhesive arrow rests and one Dacron string, making it easy to set up and start shooting.
For those who want a complete setup, an optional package includes a bow case with pre-cut foam, target sight, arm guard, leather finger tab, and stringer (not included).
One of the best features of this bow is the 2-year warranty, which is the best in the industry, giving peace of mind to the buyer.
However, there are some downsides to consider. There are no instructions included for setting up the sights, and it doesn’t come with a bow stringer, which is essential for safe assembly and disassembly of the bow.
- Specifically designed for youth and smaller framed shooters, providing a comfortable and secure grip.
- Pre-installed brass bushings allow for various accessory upgrades, such as stabilizers, sights, and quivers.
- Limbs made of durable hard maple and black fiberglass, with phenolic reinforced limb tips.
- Comes with 2 stick-on adhesive arrow rests and a Dacron string.
- Optional package includes a bow case with pre-cut foam, target sight, arm guard, leather finger tab, and stringer.
- Best warranty in the industry with a hassle-free 2-year warranty.
- No instructions included for setting up the sights, which may be difficult for beginners.
- The bow doesn’t come with a bow stringer, which is necessary for safe assembly and disassembly.
4. Procener 45″ Bow and Arrow Set for Kids – Best for Kids
The Procener 45″ Bow and Arrow Set for Kids is a great starting point for children interested in archery. This complete archery set includes 1 bow, 9 fiberglass arrows, 2 target faces, 1 arm guard, 1 quiver, and a user manual.
The bow length is 45″ with a draw length of 22-24″ and a draw weight of 16-20 lbs, which is suitable for children. The fiberglass arrows are 28 inches in length and have non-sharp tips for safety.
The ambidextrous riser design allows for use with both right and left-handed shooters, made of safe and durable glass fiber. The finger saver attached to the bowstring and arm guards included in the set ensure children’s safety while using the bow and arrow set.
The downside of this set is that some users have reported the arrows included in the set break easily, so it may be necessary to purchase additional arrows separately. Additionally, it’s important to note that the set does not include a bow stringer.
- Complete archery set with all necessary components for kids to start learning and having fun with archery
- Suitable bow length, draw length, and draw weight for children
- Fiberglass arrows with non-sharp tips for safety
- Ambidextrous riser design allows use for both right and left-handed shooters
- Finger saver attached to the bowstring and arm guards included for safety
- Some users have reported that the included arrows may break easily.
- Set does not include a bow stringer.
5. D&Q Archery Bow and Arrow – Best Budget Pick
D&Q Archery Bow and Arrow is our pick for the best budget option for beginners. This light-weight recurve bow is available in draw weight options of 30lb or 40lb, with a bow length of 53.5″, brace height of 9.8″, arrow length of 31″, and bowstring strands of 12 strands, making it suitable for adults.
The durable polycarbonate nylon bow risers and resin fiber limbs provide adequate resistance and stretch, ensuring high quality and longevity. The ambidextrous takedown recurve bow is easy to assemble and disassemble, making it convenient for transport and storage.
The complete archery set includes 1 bow, 6 fiberglass arrows, 1 bow string, 1 bow stringer, 1 arm guard, 1 finger guard, 4 target papers, 4 target nails, and an installation tool, providing everything needed to get started with archery. The manufacturer also offers 100% after-sales support for any problems or concerns.
However, it’s important to note that the bow may be slow and not very accurate, but it’s still good enough for learning. Additionally, the archery set does not come with an arrow rest, which may need to be purchased separately.
Some users have also reported that the arrows included were not nocked correctly, so it’s recommended to check and adjust the arrows before use.
- Lightweight and durable design
- Comes with a complete archery set
- Ambidextrous takedown recurve bow for use with either left or right hand
- After-sales support provided by the manufacturer
- Bow may be slow and not very accurate
- Archery set does not come with an arrow rest
- Some users reported that the arrows included were not nocked correctly
A Beginner’s Guide to Choosing the Best Recurve Bow
Are you a beginner looking to explore the world of archery? One of the most critical decisions you will make is choosing the right recurve bow. With so many options available in the market, it can be overwhelming to decide which one to go for. In this buyer’s guide, we will provide you with essential tips to help you choose the best recurve bow for beginners.
Determine Your Purpose
The first step to selecting a recurve bow is to identify your purpose. Will you be using it for hunting, target shooting, or recreational activities? Different bows have unique features that make them suitable for specific purposes.
Consider Your Skill Level
As a beginner, you want to choose a recurve bow that is easy to handle and has a low draw weight. A low draw weight will make it easier to draw and shoot the bow accurately, and you can gradually increase the weight as you gain more experience.
Select the Right Bow Length
The length of the bow is another critical factor to consider. The right bow length will depend on your draw length, which is the distance between the grip and the string when the bow is at full draw. A bow that is too short or too long can lead to poor accuracy and discomfort while shooting.
Choose Between One-Piece and Takedown Bows
Recurve bows come in two designs: one-piece and takedown bows. One-piece bows are solid and cannot be disassembled, while takedown bows can be taken apart for easy storage and transportation. Takedown bows are ideal for beginners as they allow for easy maintenance and customization.
Look for Additional Features
Some recurve bows come with additional features such as pre-installed threaded bushings for accessories, reinforced limb tips for compatibility with different string types, and ergonomic designs for comfort. These features can make shooting easier and more enjoyable.
Consider Your Budget
Recurve bows come at different price points, and it’s essential to consider your budget before making a purchase. While it’s tempting to go for the cheapest option, investing in a high-quality recurve bow will save you money in the long run and enhance your overall archery experience.
In conclusion, finding the best beginner recurve bow can be overwhelming, but we hope this article has provided valuable insights into some of the top options available in the market.
The Southwest Archery Spyder Takedown Recurve Bow is our top pick for its extraordinary quality, affordability, and versatility, making it suitable for hunting, bowfishing, and target practice.
The Keshes Takedown Hunting Recurve Bow and Arrow is a close runner-up, with its lightweight and ergonomic design and durable quality. For youth, the Southland Archery Supply Junior 58″ Takedown Archery Recurve Bow is the best option, while the Procener 45″ Bow and Arrow Set for Kids is the perfect starting point for kids.
Lastly, the D&Q Archery Bow and Arrow is our budget pick, offering adequate resistance and stretch for adult beginners. Remember to consider your skill level, purpose, and personal preferences before making a purchase. Happy shooting!